Monday, December 17, 2012

Day 19


Day 19 - I forgot to post this last night...ah well.

1.)    I am almost 100% positive I can fit all of what I’m bringing home in my backpack. I’m still bringing home my suitcase though.

2.)    The Soviets had created a mine called the “butterfly mine”. Children were almost always the casualties because it was designed to look like a toy. Children would pick it up and it would eventually detonate, killing the child.

3.)    The Andes are the world’s largest mountain range that is on the surface of a continent.

4.)    Nan Madol is a ruined city in Micronesia that used to be a political seat. It was built over the sea on top of coral, so it had no readily available fresh water or food.

5.)    Uluru is a giant sandstone monolith in Australia.

6.)    The Tian Shan mountains dominate the Kyrgyzstan landscape. About 80% of the country is mountains.

7.)    Shuri Castle in Okinawa was destroyed during World War II. It was reconstructed in 1992 and it looks beautiful.

8.)    In the Japanese villages of Shirakawa-go and Gokayama, the houses still have thatched roofs. I want to go there and see!

9.)    The Cryptomeria is a large cedar-like tree. It can be known as the Sequoia of Japan.

10.) Images taken from Itsukushima Shrine are some of the most iconic images of Japan. I hope to go there too, but we’ll see if I can afford it. It’s near Hiroshima, so if I can afford a trip down there, I’ll definitely swing by!

No comments:

Post a Comment