Sunday, July 11, 2010

Oh Boy

Today I didn't do much, which actually upsets me some. I ended up waiting in Nakano for the Tokyu Department store to open so I could buy hand soap (which isn't in the room I'm staying in), laundry detergent and bread. Then, I had to wait for my laundry to finish. So I got out to Shinjuku around 1 p.m. And then I didn't really know what to do with myself. I wanted to shop, but obviously shopping is hard when you're on a budget. So after wandering for about 30 minutes, I came to a KFC. I ran into a language barrier though and ended up ordering a 7 piece bucket - for myself (which I ended up bringing home. It shall be my dinner and breakfast).

I got really samishii kimochi in my kokoro, which was the reason I got the 1590 yen meal. It can be very isolating when you're out and about and you can't strike up a conversation with anyone but gaijin, and even then, most gaijin in Japan are other nationalities, so English isn't their first language.

One thing I noticed about my fellow gaijin in Japan is that they almost never make eye contact with other gaijin. I noticed tourist looking ones do, but gaijin that look like they live here never do. I'm not sure if it's because they're used to being looked at or if they don't feel like looking back in return. I dunno, I guess I feel a fellow gaijin should kind of look out for less experienced gaijin...

Something strange - in Japan, if rain is in the forecast, expect most Japanese women to be carrying an umbrella over their heads, all ready for rain (even if there isn't any rain for over an hour), but not really any guys. I'm not sure if it's just because guys don't care until it's actually raining or what.

Shinjuku Station - the most confusing station in the world. It's got 6 main exits, all with similar names (East Exit, Central East Exit, Southeast Exit and then the Southeast exist is further North than the Central East exit) and then there's a humongous network of tunnels. There's a tunnel that runs the half-mile to the TMGB. It's got a ton of levels and it services over 20 different train lines (including subway).

Getting used to walking on the left side of the road. Still working on looking right first when crossing the street, but I'm remedying that by looking both ways the whole time I'm crossing.

Tomorrow, I plan to head over to Yoyogi park and Meiji Shrine - rain or shine. No matter how tired I am. I'll post etiquette now though, to help me memorize it.

Upon arriving at the shrine, you'll see a Torii Gate (google it).
Bow once before entering and once before leaving.
Approach the Temizuya (fountain) and perform the following
---First, rinse your left hand using the ladle and fountain water.
---Second, rinse your right hand.
---Third, pour water into your left hand. Rinse your mouth with that water.
---Fourth, rinse your left hand again.
---Fifth, rinse the dipper by allowing the remaining water flow out from the dipper.
To pay respect, place some coins in the offertory box, bow twice, clap twice, make a wish and clap once more.

I will be unable to take pictures inside the shrine, but I can take them outside.

Done for now. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment