Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mount Fuji

Here's my budget - A maximum of 12000 yen ($100) for the entire trip. This includes travel and stuff I need to buy.

I plan to climb the mountain either Saturday or Sunday in celebration of my 18th birthday (yay complex metaphor). Most likely Sunday, as I need to go out and buy supplies. A quick overview of the mountain. Athletes have completed the climb in 2 hours, but most people need to take it slower as they cannot breathe properly at altitude and so it should take between 4-8 hours to ascend. I'm guessing it'll take me about 6 or 7. I plan to watch the sun set at the summit. The total altitude is 3776 meters (around 11500 feet). Some people need oxygen - I refuse. If I need to rest, I will. It's alright if I don't make the sunset, but I plan on arriving at the mountain around 10 a.m., in order to give myself plenty of time. I MIGHT stay to watch the sunrise, but I'm not that confident in my ability to handle the cold.

Here is my supply list (if you can think of anything else I might need, or if you really think I don't need something, please say so either using FB or through my mom.)

- A plastic poncho - [est 500 yen]

- My jacket (already with me)

- A pair of leggings (to go under my pants as the temperature drops) [est 1000 yen]

- A long-sleeved shirt? (to go under a shortsleeved one) [ 1000 yen]

- Possibly another hat, as my current could blow off if the wind is too strong. (Doubtful) [est 500 yen]

- Flashlight (I've already got spare batteries) [est 500 yen]

- $1 coins (you have to pay to pee on the mountain) [bringing 600 yen worth]

- 2 liters of water (already got it - bought the thing when I first got here)

- Plastic bags (free when I go to stores and so I've got access to plenty)

- Possibly a larger, on-the-shoulder bag (if I bought this, I'm bringing it home with me. I'll put what doesn't fit in my suitcase in it) [est 2000 yen]

- Food (caloriemates, riceballs, and possibly jerky) (est 1500 yen)

- Gloves [est 500 yen]

- I'll bring an EMERGENCY 5000 yen ($50). I do not plan to use it and it will not go to the 10000 yen I plan to spend. However, there is the threat of hypothermia, even during the summer (during the day, average peak temperature is 7C or 45F) and I plan to come back after dark (usually below freezing). There are also STRONG gusts of wind (I'll prolly wear my poncho like a windbreaker). So - this emergency money is for me to get rested and warmed at a hut (where they have a $10 an hour resting fee) until I feel safe enough to continue.

---

Today I saw Tokyo Tower - went up so high I could see Chiba. That's the other side of Tokyo Bay. Other than Tokyo Tower, I didn't do much more than walk around. >< I keep getting late starts because everyone likes to talk to me for about 45 minutes each. ^^""" And I've got 3 different sets of people to talk to.

Tomorrow - Odawara Castle!!! I HAVE to get an early start, so I'll be hacking talking time to 10 minutes a pop. I budgeted about 6000 yen on this ($60) before I came, but I'll try and keep it absolute minimal. The only thing I might buy is a souvenir and a cheap one at that. I also plan to touch the Pacific Ocean from the West Side (I touched it when I went to LA a few years ago).

Sadly, my budget is getting hacked. I really need to cut my spending, so after this, I'm spending a day or two just walking around Nakano - with only 1500 yen per day. I might try to work on my conversational skills in the Yadoya office. As of RIGHT NOW I've only got about $550 left. Out of $1700...>>

No comments:

Post a Comment