Sunday, April 14, 2013

Game of Thrones Season 3 Impressions

This WILL contain some spoilers. If you're not familiar with the Game of Thrones series, stop here. Go find a way to watch the show OR read the books. Both if possible. It's a fantastic series and I honestly think that it should be read in senior year of high school - granted, all the sex and brutal violence might turn off most schools.

I am watching the series as it comes out and I'm reading the books. On to my impressions. Last warning for anyone who hasn't seen or read the series.

Stop, reader. 

Stahp.

You're spoiling the greatest series ever.

Okay. Hopefully that deterred any wayward individuals.

Now. Where do I begin?

Only two episodes are out so far for this season (episode 3 will air 10:00 am JST), but I'm already in love. Jojen and Meera are fantastic and exactly as I imagined. Actually, they're even more attractive than I thought. Jojen's actor, though he plays a 13 year old in the book (if I recall correctly), is actually 22 years old. It DID mention, many times, that he appears much older due to all he has Seen.

The show is already working on making you pity Theon Greyjoy. Those first glimpses are essentially what his life has become. Although, unlike in the book, he seems to have kept all his fingers. And they don't seem to be flaying him. 

Despite some added scenes, the show has introduced Margery in an entirely different light. Unlike Sansa, SHE plays the game. And she plays to win. It's already getting under Cersei's skin. 

They have added a lot more depth to Shae than was in the book, but this will add clarification for events later. I will say the same about Gendry. Both turn out to be more minor characters in the book, but they focus on their relationships with the two bigger players (Arya and Tyrion).

I'm getting disappointed with the slow progression of the series. Both of the actors for Arya and Bran are growing a bit too fast. In the book series, I believe Bran started out as 8 and Arya was 9 years old. If I recall correctly, Bran is 10 and Arya is 11 in the show. 

Hopefully, GoT will amend the aging problem by totally doubling production. But...that'll never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment