Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Yadoya Suzushiro A review and Softbank rant

After reading the reviews of others, I thought I could handle it. Not all that sure if I can. For those who have never weathered a Japanese summer, it's bloody hot. I'm a bit toasty now, as my room heats rapidly to the outdoor temperature because the Japanese don't use insulation.

I can understand Yadoya using pay-per-use AC units for the rooms - but everything I read said the central areas would be air-conditioned. Not in Suzushiro A. In fact, the doors and windows are left open and the lights off (so bugs don't wander in). There's not even an option to AC the central rooms...The AC price is 100 yen for 2 hours, which isn't bad, but it'll add up. Hopefully, I'll only need to use it until the end of September.

The house itself isn't terrible. It's rough, a little moldy, and poorly planned, but it's suitable, particularly if it was well maintained. However, the kitchen and shower area are in desperate need of a deep cleansing. The shower area is covered in mold and the water controls are horrifyingly painful - the water doesn't mix at all. I'm scared to use any of the dishware, because there's an open, unscreened window next to all the clean dishes.

On the plus side, I have a cheap bed and I really do live in a Tokyo suburb. The staff at Yadoya are very friendly and helpful. If you need anything, just ask and they'll do their best. My roommate is actually a staff volunteer and we're sort of bonding a bit. I'll be sad to see her go back to Taiwan.

I'll upload pictures tomorrow and I'll have a vlog video by Friday night.

--
SOFTBANK!

So I need a prepaid cell phone for emergencies and such. I went to three stores, only to be told at each one that they're out of stock. When I asked how many they keep in stock, the lady at the Harajuku store said it was because they're only allowed to sell 3 prepaids a day and that most other stores are only allowed to sell 1 a day. Because of this, I'll have to go again tomorrow, as soon as it opens. I would switch, but there aren't any other options.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm Annz
    I've read your article about Yadoya Suzushiro A

    We (3 girls) had booked there in 4.5 tatami room in 30 April-5 may 2013
    Can i ask some question if you don't mind

    Q1: Did Yadoya Suzushiro A is so horrible like i read in the net? like the shower that can't used (so where we can bath!?), cockroach or bug problem? the futon/bed which not clean?

    Q2: did Suzushiro A is girl only or mix? did they have lock in every room?

    Q3: what facility do they over? (ex. shampoo? hair dryer? free wi-fi?)

    Q4: about the surrounding in Suzushiro A...what the nearest subway from there? and how far Suzushiro A from Nakano Station...i mean can we go there by "light" walk?? =w=;;

    Thanks for advance :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzushiro A is a mixed house. Suzushiro C is a girl's dormitory, which I would recommend over Suzushiro A. If you're in the room I think you are, the AC/heating unit might still be broken. The bath was being renovated when I left, so I can't give you any idea of what it looks like now, but it was...unpleasant. You might be able to convince the staff to let you use the girl's dormitory shower.

      The private rooms there have locks on the doors and there should be lockers, if I remember correctly.

      They only supply a hair dryer and free wi-fi. Use of the kitchen and utensils is also free.

      It depends on what you mean by a "light" walk. Anything under 20 minutes is a light walk here. The nearest subway station to Suzushiro A is probably Higashi-Nakano Station on the JR Chuo line (8 minute walk). Nakano Station is about a 12-15 minute walk, depending on how fast you walk.

      Delete
  2. Hallo, i'm Annz

    I've read your blog about Yadoya's Suzushiro A
    Can i ask you some question? Cause i will stay there in30 April-5 May 2013

    Q1: Did the place near with subway, or we must do a "marathon" walk to get to the nearest station?

    Q2: Did the place is still so "horrible" like i read in internet? such as cockroach problem, no heater in bathroom, water problem?

    Q3: Is there free facility that we'll get like wi-fi, shampoo-conditioner-soap, hair dryer??

    Q4: Did Suzushiro A is a palace only for girl or mix? do they have key for each room?

    Thanks for informative article :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for your explanation, It's really informative :D

    I hope they already finish renovated the bath room in the end of next month =w=;
    And i don't mind with the broken AC since we have live in hot country (i just can hope the weather is not cold in end of April)

    About the walk...Higashi Nakano is perfect light walk....Nakano station is nice for "light" exercise :D

    Ok then, see you around

    ReplyDelete