Saturday, September 22, 2012

Well...F--K

I've sort of been clustered-f..ked over the past day or so.

Waseda is being adamant about me not being able to take classes in English. I've sent an e-mail to my adviser at home and it sounds like he's going to contact them from his end, but essentially they've backed me into a corner. Either I take a Japanese class on the native level or I struggle getting enough credits to graduate on time.

Of course, going there to pick up my ID and then being told I'd have to come back on Monday for it just sort of frustrated me even further.

And then of course, I have my housing situation. I am currently spending around 20 hours or so a week in exchange for free rent, which is all well and good. But not only am I unable to get the room I want in the building I prefer, but I was semi-evicted today. I was placed into the female dormitory to accommodate someone who wanted to extend their stay. I was going to move into a private room in 4 days anyway, but the thing that irked me was that I was TOLD, and not asked, to move. Hence my use of the word "eviction".

And then, of course, one of my "employers" posts  on Facebook that we should be glad that we're able to volunteer for free rent. Too many of us are expressing frustration about not getting the days off that we want and that 20 hours a week means more along the lines of the "20 hours you're assigned" and not "20 hours of your free time". He's essentially smashing us for having school and actual jobs. Furthermore, he says that we all need to present our availability in a timely fashion. Most of us give our available days when asked - but for many of us, they aren't taken into consideration. Every single time I've asked for a day off, I get work on that day. This time, I was able to throw enough of a fit to get out of work on a day when I have class from 9 am to 6 pm, but what about my whole upcoming semester?

This is my last straw. I can deal with terrible management, poor living conditions and long hours for free rent. I cannot deal with it if it jeopardizes my ability to go to school and study.

To further complicate my problems, I am unable to afford rent for anywhere in Tokyo. I'm currently suffering from a terrible cash shortage just to be able to eat. How the hell am I going to be able to afford rent and utilities?

No comments:

Post a Comment