Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Japan - The land where "no one" has a car

It's actually a myth, in all honesty. I see cars all the time and I think I might live around rich people. Nice houses, nice cars.

However, I should clarify that it's only the wealthy and middle class that can afford to own a car. Because they're the ones that can also afford a house. Houses here are phenomenally expensive, particularly in Tokyo. I rent a small, studio apartment for 57,000 yen a month (roughly $750). But I've seen small, single family homes nearby go for around 25 million yen (about $320K) and it doesn't have a yard.

But if you own a house here, you likely own a car. Because to furnish your house and buy supplies to maintain it, you will need a car. (Although I have seen people try to bring 2x4s, shelves and all sorts of other things home on a bicycle...) Apartments, on the other hand, are maintained by the landlord and USUALLY have major appliances. Apparently mine was weird and didn't include any appliances...I have hook up for a washer and oddly, there is an outlet for appliances on the ceiling (which the refrigerator cord just barely didn't reach....).

It is true that to get around the city, most people take the trains. Why not? The longest I've ever waited was abut 5 minutes. And with commuters passes for the subway, it doesn't get much cheaper (other than walking, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment