Saturday, January 5, 2013

First blog of the New Year


Japan doesn’t seem to have proper insulation codes, so my apartment tends to get cold pretty quick, especially if it’s windy. If you know me, you’ll know I’m pretty sturdy against the cold, so it’s a bit of a problem.

That said, I’m going to take you through the process of winterproofing your apartment. I live in a cheap studio in Nakano-ku, Tokyo, so my prices will probably be cheap compared to larger apartments.

For bubble wrap specially designed for winter insulation on windows, I paid around 580 yen per roll (90 cm X 180 cm). They had much more expensive ones, but I went with the cheapest. Two rolls were roughly able to cover my massive window, my small loft window and most of my door.

Hours later, I can feel the difference. Those areas aren’t quite so drafty anymore – especially my door.

I will say that putting the wrap onto the windows is a bit annoying, as it’s designed to use static and water or something to create a seal. I’m bad at that, so it never works out right. XD I used tape just for good measure. I’ll update in a few days with how this method is holding up. 

If all else fails, I'll get reflective sheets. They're designed to keep heat in and the cold out, but I'm sure it'll work for the summer time too. 


Still need other ways to stay warm? If you haven’t bought a heater, you probably should. February is the coldest month here, so it’s only going to get colder. When using your heater, try to get it as close to your space as possible. My panel heater is boxing me in between my desk and the wall, effectively creating my own little cubicle of warmth.

Still cold? Learn to layer. If you’re a lady, buy camisoles and avoid bras with no lining – you lose a lot of heat through your boobs. Leggings and knee socks under loose pajama pants (or any pants) will also create an insulating layer of air between you and the chill. Skin tight clothing only works well if you have a baggy layer over top. Warmth of the sake of fashion, I say!

If it’s late in the evening and you haven’t showered yet, take a very hot shower and avoid turning the water back down, even if it’s too hot. Get in bed as soon as you can afterward. It’ll provide a temporary solution that chases the chill away.

No comments:

Post a Comment