Wednesday, June 13, 2012

More Information

The pre-departure sheet doesn't go over this, but there are plenty of other things you should consider before going abroad.

If you don't already have one, open a checking account. Government banks (NavyFCU, NASAFCU, etc) typically have the best foreign transaction rates, but any large bank should work. My good friend didn't know this and he used his credit card to withdraw money. You can do this, but it costs a LOT. Interest starts accumulating immediately at very high rates. He said between interest, foreign transaction fees and exchange rates, he was losing an additional 25%. In contrast, my bank only has a 1% foreign transaction fee and doesn't have interest.

My favorite - only bring what you need. Don't pack your dorm room into a suitcase. If you MUST have a hairdryer, buy it there. Things like that. I would research fashion and bring clothes. One thing you don't see in Japan is a lot of girls wearing jeans/pants. They're expensive. Undergarments can be bought abroad. To the large breasted ladies - I would suggest buying your bras from home. I have heard that Japan has large sized bras at department stores and I've heard they don't. Play it safe and bring them - they don't take up that much room.

If you plan on hiking or traveling, bring a good quality backpack. You can use it both for caring your school supplies and for hiking. If you can only have two carry-ons and plan to use only carry-ons, girls can stuff an empty handbag into the backpack.

Prescription medications are a problem. I am on two medications that are impossible to obtain in Japan and one of them would get me arrested and deported if I brought it into the country. I am on birth control and have been for most of my life after puberty because I have a condition. Birth control has been notoriously difficult to obtain in Japan. For more information regarding birth control in Japan, please see this wonderful lady's article. I am going to suggest bringing your entire prescription with you when going abroad.

http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2010/12/guide-to-birth-control-pills-in-japan.html

If you are on ANY allergy medication that contains pseudophedrine, ask your doctor the percentage. If it is over 10% pseudophedrine, it will be illegal to have in Japan. I would suggest switching to a nasal spray. When I went to Japan last, I didn't have too many problems with my allergies. It was also summer time and rainy, so they could have factored into the lack of pollen. If you have an EPIPEN, please visit the Japanese embassy website and fill out the forms listed.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

If you have any problems with your health, try to get them treated before going abroad. For example, I have been having issues with my wisdom teeth and I need to make a trip to the dentist. It will be much easier to have it done at home than to wait until it becomes dire.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment