Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First Time

I guess I should start with introducing myself. I enjoy music, learning random bits of information, reading, and gaming. But I find traveling is, by far, the most enjoyable thing out there. There are people out there who act and react so completely different from the way you do that it boggles my mind. In a little less than a month's time, I'll be on a plane to Japan, where I will spend 20 days of my summer.

This is the first time I've posted on blogger in literally years. I think the last time was in 8th grade? I just graduated as of Monday and decided that I should open up a blog to document college/travels/etc.

The first thing I think I should post is the fruit of my research. I have found several decent places to stay that don't slaughter the budget. They are more hostel-style, but for a student without a job, it's like heaven. These are the two I have most seriously considered.

http://www.cheap-accommodation-tokyo.com/index.html
($20/night)
http://www.shrek-watta-house.com/rete.html
($40/night)

I'll post my review of whichever one I stay in after I return.

The next thing is that despite most students in Japan learning English in school, most people won't be able to speak it. This is due to "teaching to the test". The English tests in Japan focus on being able to write/read it, not speak it. So learning a few Japanese words/phrases is very important, especially if you're not going to be in touristy areas (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Okinawa, Sapporo). Google Tofugu and read through his blog. He's got some good Japanese phrases somewhere on there. I also suggest reading JulieinJapan. She's been living there for awhile now and has many interesting facts/stories.

That's it for now, more tomorrow I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment